Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Too much?

We’re expecting a baby boy in about ten weeks. We are all really excited about him, and now that we are moved into the new house, we have finally gotten busy with preparing for his arrival. Since he is the second child, we already have the vast majority of baby gear – strollers, car seats, play pen, burp cloths, sheets, etc. Luckily, we registered for gender neutral colored gear the first time around.

However, one thing we are missing this time around is baby boy clothes. I was under the impression that Marryn wore way more yellow and green clothes than she actually did. When I physically went through her old clothes, 98% of them screamed I’m a lovely, dainty female in pink and purple polka dots. I think she had maybe one shirt with a duck on it, and a couple of green sleepers.

I hate waste, and I love to recycle, so I have to ask myself…how much pink is too much pink…for a boy…that lives in Texas…in a rural area…who has a very masculine father…and grandfathers…before it makes an impact?
I don’t intend to dress him in his sister’s old skirts in public, but if he runs around the house in some pastel numbers that’s not going to affect his psyche, right? Will he really know if his pajamas say Night Night Princess? Will he care if he hangs out in a Jenny Jump Up versus a Johnny Jump Up? Won’t his pink pacifier do the same job as a blue one? Truly, I think this all matters not. Want to know why?


This is my brother during the 2,765th time I dressed him up. We are 2.5 years apart, the same distance my children will be. There was a period in his life when his favorite color was pink and he wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer when he grew up, all because those were my preferences at the time. He was subjected to countless dress up sessions (see above), make up applications, pretend mommy/baby play times, and sometimes called his underwear “panties”.

Today he is one of the most well-adjusted and compassionate men I’ve ever met. He once told Mom and I that he would make a good husband because “knew about periods and stuff”. I’m not sure if his wife would agree, but from the outside looking in, this has proven to be true. I think that he benefitted from being raised with a big sister, and maybe, just maybe, from literally walking in her shoes a time or two.


As a side note, a few friends with older boys have been amazing about lending us their son’s hand-me-downs. Between those and his sister’s leftovers, our son will be well outfitted in many shades of style.

5 comments:

  1. Boys used to wear pink and girls used to wear blue! And boys used to wear dresses.... It's all relative. :)

    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/When-Did-Girls-Start-Wearing-Pink.html?c=y&page=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's more about how they are treated --- with love --- and besides, there was a time, when leisure suits for men were the rage, that my husband had a raspberry colored jacket and pants!

    You write so well and with a sense of humor. Glad I got to see this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Mrs. Rowell. I checked out Trader Joe's frozen section on your tip today. What a wealth of good grub!

      Delete
  3. Hi Lauren, I saw your piece on The Conversation and gladly followed the link to be rewarded here with photos! This is charming, original, personal, wonderful wisdom. Please keep writing about subjects like this. We all need reminding. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It's encouraging to hear comments like yours. Have a great day.

      Delete