Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Halloweiner anyone?

Due to the unexpected nature of labor and our given due date of November 4, we can’t really make Halloween plans. This is somewhat disappointing because I love Halloween – always have. It’s the drama nerd in me – I love dressing up. Well, let me clarify. I love dressing up…as something “pretty”.

As a child I was a pink pony, Miss America, a kitty, a genie, a gypsy, an angel, a ballerina, a cheerleader. Rinse and repeat.

In your late teens and early twenties, costumes take on another function, and I was no exception. I think the movie, Mean Girls, hits the nail on the head when the protagonist states, “Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like total sluts and no other girls can say anything about it.” During those years I was a feathered tightrope walker, a sequined devil, a leather clad biker chick, a Grecian goddess, and you get the idea.

Notice a theme? I don’t like scary or ugly costumes. Seeing as how I’m currently lugging around all this pregnancy weight, my “pretty” costume ideas are somewhat limited. This is what I’ve thought of so far.

Elsie the Cow


Edna Turnblad from Hairspray


Mark Mangino – Could double as Edna Turnblad with the right wig


Shamu – Could incorporate Ben as a Sea Shepherd from Whale Wars


However, if the baby has arrived by Halloween and if I can pull it together, I have some ideas for her too.

Turkey – Perhaps I could dress as Martha Stewart?

Lobster - And I could swaddle her a net-colored blanket


Tootsie Roll – And we could hand out only Tootsie rolls to trick or Treaters


Halloweiner anyone?

If my theme is “pretty” costumes, the theme for the baby is certainly “hungry” costumes. Which reminds me, it’s time for my afternoon snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment