Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Uncle Tex



I broke the news of my pregnancy to my Mom, Dad, and Brother all the same way. I bought them children’s books about their new role and wrote a note inside of them. For Mom and Dad, I gave them Just Grandpa and Me and Just Grandma and Me by Mercer Mayer. They’re part of the “Little Critter” series – favorites of mine and Brady’s when we were kids.




Mayer didn’t write a book about Uncles, so I had to turn to another childhood favorite for Brady’s book. Growing up, it seemed like whenever we were about to experience a life change, Mom would give us a new Berenstain Bears book.






  • Mom’s going back to work? We read Mama’s New Job.


  • We’re whining about toys we don’t have? We read The Berenstain Bears Get the Gimmies.


  • Fussing with friends at school? We read Trouble with Friends and The In Crowd.




You get the picture. The Berenstain Bears ushered my brother and I into several life stages always with a short, sweet, and happy lesson learned. I thought it only fitting that Brady be ushered into uncle-dom by receiving The Berenstain Bears Visit Uncle Tex. It’s a darling story where Brother and Sister Bear have wild adventures on horseback with their outlandish cowboy Uncle Tex. I know for certain that Brady will show his niece or nephew much love, and they will too adore their Uncle Tex.



So with that, Happy 27th Birthday Little Brother! For the past couple of years, I’ve threatened to have a baby to lure you back to Texas. The plan is now in action.


3 comments:

  1. Love the photo and can't believe that you have a copy of it - Brady's first birthday party! He just didn't know what to do with that much cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's in a collage you gave me. There are some gems, let me tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think our moms must have been in cahoots because we learned several lessons from those bears, too! LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete