Monday, April 26, 2010

Mocktails and Faux-jitos

Another question I should add to the list of prenatal FAQ’s is “Do you miss alcohol?” We don’t have many friends with children. (Thankfully we do know two couples due a few months before us, so we can take notes.) Most of our social engagements include alcohol – something I didn’t realize until becoming pregnant when I can’t partake.

The answer is usually “No, I don’t miss it…yet.” I’m only 12 weeks along, so I’m sure the longing will creep in sometime soon. It’s more about feeling like your part of the situation, and having a fancy drink in your hand to gesture with, helps with that. A sweaty water glass just doesn’t do the trick.

Thankfully, there are some new options out there for us expectant moms:
Did you know there’s non alcoholic wine on the market? I've come across Ariel and Fre thus far. They come in several varietals; chardonnay, merlot, white zinfandel to name a few. I picked some FRE Chardonnay up at the store on Friday and have yet to try it. I’ll let you know.



For those of us who went to state schools, there’s Coors Cutter. Surprisingly it doesn’t taste that much different than Coors Light, and never fear, still gives you the lovely breath and burps. Guiness makes Kaliber, which is for the dark beer fans (not I).

A neighbor made his pregnant wife and I a virgin version of a mojito – a Faux-jito. He crushes mint leaves in a glass, adds simple syrup and soda, and garnishes with lime. Perfect for patio season.

And my favorite - Ben created a mocktail that I’ve now ordered all over town: orange juice, tonic, and lime. It’s simple, fizzy, refreshing, and if you put it in a tall white wine glass, envious people at the bar will copy your order. Joke’s on them.






1 comment:

  1. That drink looks so yummy! Mojitos are one of my faves so I'm sure the fauxjitos are good, too. You'll have to let me know how the Fre tastes! :)

    ReplyDelete